Wednesday, November 05, 2008

O Happy Days.....Free at Last !

Like tens of millions of Americans, and indeed millions more across the world, election night results and events brought upon me a huge and wide array of very intense feelings and emotions. Relief, pride, delight, awe, and hope are just a few of the words that can describe the way I experienced last night and today.

In my 51 years of life, I think today is the proudest I have ever been of America, a place and community that I have always loved. Certainly since September 11th, 2001, it seems that hope and optimism are back. It feels like GOOD change is coming, and coming now.

I have never understood prejudice and hatred of those who are different, and have spent all of my life advocating and organizing for diversity and understanding and tolerance. My little bit of work has added to the efforts of millions, and today, America is shining like the beacon it has always strived to be.

Last night was magical, but it was just the culmination of two years of hard work.

With this victory by the tall lanky young man from Chicago comes energy, hope, and yearning for a better nation. Now the really hard work begins.

But now we can face the serious and scary challenges facing America with a sense of community, unity, and purpose. Lets join together, red and blue, black and white, brown and red, and gay and straight....younger and older. Let's roll up our sleeves and get to work.

O Happy Days !

1 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, Blogger Bmurraygroove said...

Dear Mayor Covey,
I hope and trust all is well. I have had the privilege of meeting you, (at WAB during the Ferndale Blues fest, my band was playing)my name is Bobby Murray, I've played guitar for Etta James for the last twenty years. I am a Ferndale resident and am proud to be your constituent. Anyway, I am interested in performing w/my band at this year's fest. I hope it's not too late. I don't know who to go about being booked so I'm writing you. I beg your pardon for being off topic.

Kind Regards,
Bobby Murray
nagoya.kid@hotmail.com or
bobbymrgf@gmail.com

409 Wordsworth
Ferndale,MI 48220

248 249 2180

http://www.myspace.com/bobbymurraygroove

 

Post a Comment

<< Home