Friday, January 11, 2008

Just 373 Day to Go...Obama For President

In just over one year, this country will finally have a new President. It was an excruciatingly long period for our country. Two recessions, one nasty unnecessary war, eight years of worsening environmental damage, unproductive partisanship and a badly divided populace, and ballooning deficit spending the likes of which our country has never seen....these are the legacies of George W. Bush.

While there are several great potential leaders running as Democrats for President, my support is going to Mr. Obama. I endorsed his late last year, and I think he is the breath of fresh air this country needs. He can unite the country, especially the disenfranchised young voters, independents, minorities, and the working and middle classes. He inspires me, and he has pledged to stop the partisanship that has characterized our national political system.

Since he wont be on the Michigan ballot during our attempted primary, I may end voting on the Republican side. There my vote will not go to Mr. Huckabee. While I am not a Libertarian, the views and ideas of Ron Paul are refreshing and interesting. He has generated a good deal of support in Ferndale, and he opposes the war, and supports new ways of dealing with our country's drug problems.

But whether our next President is the first elected woman, or the first elected person of color, it will be a time of great celebration and relief. Let history judge George Bush. I already have.

5 Comments:

At 5:36 AM, Blogger jane bellezza said...

I am disappointed that you have fallen into line with the Dems and are supporting Peters. I am tired of the "good old boys club". Nancy Skinner would be an excellent member of Congress.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger r. hertz said...

I'm not sure I can stomach it, but I'm considering a vote for Mitt Romney:

http://tinyurl.com/3c3jyt

Your friendly neighbor,
Ryan

P.S. Congratulations! I haven't run into you since your election.

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Anthony said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Craig Covey said...

Jane:

I supported Nancy a couple of years ago when she ran for Congress and even made a campaign donation. I did not realize she was running again this year, but am pleased to support Gary Peters in his run against that long term Republican Congresssman.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

There is an article in the January 30 New Republic exposing Ron Paul as a fervent racist homophobe among much else. (Followup blogs are on NR's website.) It's all academic now, after Super Tuesday, but it still goes to show the importance of due diligence. Please keep this in mind as you pursue what I am sure will be an illustrious stint as our mayor.
Marvin Bernstein / The French Gourmet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home